Friday, February 1, 2008

Word and Image

This week was my second class with Annie Cicale at Bookworks. It has stretched me quite a bit. First I learned to fold a book in a Wave to Shore fold.  Then we studied Wabi-sabi - the uneven layouts of the ancient illuminated manuscripts and drafted our own  page layout. I ended up with 16 pages, or eight double page spreads. I picked a poem that would fit into the space then worked within the wabi-sabi layout.



The poem is by poet Po Chu-I:



I look at my shadow
over and over
in the lake;
I see no white face
only the white hair
I have lost my youth,
and shall never find it again.
Useless to stir the Lake-Water.

I worked very quickly and there some things I would do differently, but overall I am glad I finished it. We will critique it on Tuesday night - YIKES!


No comments: